Behavior and Conduct in the Library
Conneaut Public Library
The Library is for the enjoyment of all its patrons. Loud voices, vulgar or profane language, and rowdy behavior that poses a threat of injury to the patron, to other patrons, or to furniture or equipment will not be tolerated in the library.
When the behavior of a patron disrupts library use by other patrons and/or is deemed inappropriate by the librarian in charge, that patron will be asked to leave the library. The police will be called if the patron in question fails to comply with the librarian’s request.
The Board of Trustees is responsible for determining the rules for public behavior in the Conneaut Public Library,
- To protect the rights of individuals to use library materials and services.
- To protect the rights of library employees and volunteers to conduct library business without interference.
- To ensure the use of the building, materials, and services by the greatest number of individuals.
- To preserve those materials and facilities.
- To ensure the safety of library patrons, employees, and volunteers.
The Board authorizes the Executive Director to revoke or restrict library privileges of any individual who behave contrary to these rules. The Board also authorizes the Executive Director to file charges against individuals who continually transgress these rules.
The rules for public behavior are listed below. Employees are authorized to bring to an individual’s attention any act or omission which violates these rules and detracts from the decorum of the library. Such and individual will be asked to change his behavior to conform to the rules. If such change is not evident or forthcoming that individual will be asked to leave the library building and library property. If the individual does not leave on his own, police may be called for assistance.
Depending on the severity of misbehavior, individuals who have been asked to leave the building and property may be barred from returning to the library. Individuals who have been barred may be asked to talk to the Executive Director before being readmitted. Juveniles may be asked to bring a parent or guardian to such a conference.
Any misconduct that hinders the uses of the library or library materials is prohibited. Such misconduct might include, but is not limited to:
- Loud or boisterous behavior
- Creating noise (including from computers, music players, and cellular phones) or speech which interferes with the rights of others. Cellular phones are to be used outside of the library.
- Profanity or other abusive language toward other individuals or toward employees
- Abusing library furniture, equipment, or materials
- Putting feet on library furniture
- Running in the library
- Harassing others, either verbally or through actions, Harassing may include initiating unwanted conversations, impeding access to the building etc.
- Fighting on library property
- Using tobacco or “E-cigarettes” on the library property
- Possession, sale or use of alcoholic beverages or illegal substances on library property--*The Board reserves the right to approve alcohol at Friends of the Conneaut Public Library fundraisers and events.
- Eating and drinking in non-designated areas
- Buying or selling of any kind, or soliciting for personal gain or charitable purposes
- Using radios, players, or other personal listening devices at a level that can be heard by other individuals
- Skateboarding, in-line skating, and roller skating anywhere on library property
- Distributing literature, taking surveys, asking individuals or employees to sign petitions, or similar activities
- Bringing animals of any kind, other than guide/service dogs into the library
- Not wearing the appropriate amount of clothing
- Inappropriate public displays of affection (PDA) in the building or property
- Using the emergency exits at times other than during an emergency
- Gambling *The Board reserves the right to approve gaming and games of chance at Friends of the Conneaut Public Library fundraisers.
Also please remember…
- The Library reserves the right to limit the number of individuals who may sit together.
- Persons with offensive body odor or poor hygiene that create a nuisance to others and/or disturbs library service may be asked to leave.
- Library materials may not be taken into restrooms.
- Young children and older adults should not be left unattended in the library, even when caregivers are in the building.
- Solicitation of library staff and customers is prohibited.
- Library reserves the right to inspect all bags, purses, briefcases, packs, personal listening equipment, etc. for library materials.
The above rules are based on powers granted to the Conneaut Public Library Board of Trustees under Ohio Statutory and Case Law to operate a public building. They will be posted prominently in the Library building.
Adopted by the BOT Date: 3/26/15